Its summer, the kids are out of school and they are getting BORED right? (I know, that happened about the second day after school was out for summer if they made it that long!) So what do you do with bored kids and frazzled moms and dads? Some crafts to pass the time and cultivate creativity of course! I’ll be honest, most of my DIY adventures are bigger projects, household remodeling, pallet projects, and holiday home décor, but I when I saw these Flip Flop Fly swatters, I had to make them and share with you all. They are that cool!! I will admit, a co-worker of mine at my “real” job introduced me to them, but I know you and your kiddos will love them just the same.
The cool part about these is that not only do kids and adults enjoy making these, but they’re relatively cheap to make and they’re actually functional which I love and that is not always true of a kid craft project. So let’s get started shall we?
What You Need
- Cheap Flip Flops (we’re talking dollar store, Old Navy $1 Flip Flop Sale, Wal-Mart bin cheap). One pair of flip flops will make 2 fly swatters.
- Wood Dowels (at least 18″ or so) – these will be the handles for your fly swatter.
- Hot Glue Gun – to secure the handle and adhere all of your super cute embellishments
- Pipe Cleaners – used as a hanger, and can be used as part of the fly swatter décor
- Any Random Decorations – google eyes, sequins, and any other embellishments you like (this is a great time to use up all those left over scrap book embellishments and decorations from past craft projects)
What You Do
- First you make a small hole in the back of the flip flop. This is where the dowel will go and become your handle. Just place some of your hot glue on the end of the dowel, insert it in the hole you’ve just made and that part is done once the glue dries.
- Next, choose the embellishments you want for your fly swatter and start gluing. You can put whatever you want wherever you want. Your imagination is your only limitation here. Again, a little dab of hot glue to secure them is all you need.
- Finally, take your pipe cleaner and twist the ends together to make a loop and attach to the bottom of you flip flop to make the hanger and you are done! Doesn’t get easier than that right?
So, what do you think? Will you be making Flip Flop Fly Swatters this summer? What’s your favorite child (and adult) friendly craft? Let me know in the comments below and thanks for reading!