I decided I needed to set some blog goals for the upcoming year if I’m going to be able to measure my success (or lack thereof). Coming up with ideas and writing them down though, doesn’t mean much if I don’t hold myself accountable. So, in order to do that, I’ve decided to share my 2014 blog goals with all of you. That way there is solid proof as to whether or not I achieved all I had hoped to or if I dropped the ball anywhere along the way. So, since I know you are all holding your breath in anticipation, here are my blog goals for 2014:
1. Be better organized: I’m freaking awesomely organized at work, like to the point where it’s almost O.C.D. – I can’t stand for my desk to get cluttered or work to stack up. Maybe that’s part of the reason I’ve been there for 13 years. I’m really good at keeping track of things and meeting deadlines. I can also tell you how to organize (for some tips check out one of my previous posts on staying organized even in the midst of chaos here). The problem is in my personal life, which includes my blog; I stretch myself a little bit thin. I stay up late, I put off chores until I absolutely have to get it done, and then I always feel like I just don’t have enough time to get everything done. (I mean if it wasn’t for the last minute nothing would get done right?) So for 2014 I’m going to try to be better organized and plan ahead in ALL aspects of life. I’m going to set aside time for those pesky chores, schedule blog posts in advance, and try to save the “last minute” for relaxing. I’ll let you know how that goes.
2. Social Media Explosion: Okay – maybe not explosion but I’d like to see some growth by the end of 2014 for sure. I feel like I’m doing okay since I’ve only been actively blogging for a little less than 6 months, but I definitely have a long way to go. As far as some quantifiable numbers, I’d like to hit 5,000 fans on both my Facebook page and on Twitter, while I’d like to reach 1,000 followers via Bloglovin and my e-mail newsletter combined as well as 1,000 Pinterest Followers. Instagram and Google+ are still new to me and I’m not great about using them, but I’d like to improve and maybe reach 500 followers on each of those platforms as well.
3. Blog Conference: I really want to network, get myself and the Horseshoes & Hand Grenades brand out there, and learn as much as I can and I think attending a blog conference would be a great way to do that. Fortunately this year BlogHer 14’ is on my side of the country so it looks like I’m going to have the opportunity to attend. I’m super stoked and pretty excited that I’m almost certainly going to get to check at least one item off of my goals list!
4. Figure out SEO: I know it’s important, but just beginning my blog, I have been more focused on content and learning the ropes. Now that I’ve got at least somewhat of a feel for what I think I need to be doing, I need to put some work into figuring out SEO. I’m not sure where to start but if you know of any great resources or plug-ins, don’t hesitate to send them my way!
5. Media Kit: I need to put one together. I’ve kind of got some stuff roughed out in a word doc, but nothing formal or that I would actually consider providing to potential sponsors or anything. I really need to work on that and get something together that I’m proud to share with others. I hear they’re pretty important in the blogging world.
6. Blog Design: Okay, I’ve been publishing on a pretty regular schedule and I’ve got some traffic coming to the site but my design is pretty basic. By basic I mean free WordPress Theme basic with negative personality. It gets the job done but I really, really, really would like to be able to find someone to design something super awesome for me. I think a killer blog design would be just what I need to move to the next level in my blogging career. I mean perception is reality in many cases, and I think blog design is one of those. My perception of my current design is that it is in desperate need of a makeover.
7. Be a badass: I mean I think I’m already pretty awesome, but I’m kind of shy, especially when it comes to this crazy blogging thing. It’s all still so new and I’m very green which is weird for me. I mean I’ve been at my “real” job for 13 years so I basically know everything (well probably not everything but a lot!). So not that I’ve got my feet wet and am getting more comfortable and meeting other awesome bloggers, I hope to make 2014 the year that I really start building relationships, making my place in the world that is blogging, and basically just be even more badass.
So there you have it, some of the goals I have for Horseshoes & Hand Grenades in 2014. I think if I can achieve all of these I’ll be super proud of myself but I think achieving even part of them means I’m on the right track. What are some of your goals for the upcoming year?