Got kids? Planning on having them? The thing that you can count on in your life as a new parent is dirty diapers. There’s no way around it. Sadly these little bundles of joy are not potty trained upon entry to this world so diaper duty is something that parents must embrace. Okay maybe not embrace but it has to be done. With a recent (and unexpected) addition to our family, I realized that new parents don’t always know exactly what they’re supposed to do. They often just wing it and hope they get it right and most of the time they do, but one of tasks other than feeding that you’ll do more than any other for your baby, is change diapers so here’s a quick how-to on how it’s done in real life and how the Diaper Genie Elite will make diaper duty a little easier.
1. Smell something foul and try to pass baby off to anyone in the room while pretending you didn’t notice because if you hold it you change it. Right?
2. Take baby to the changing area and begin to remove diaper. Realize that there are actually no wipes in the container because hubby didn’t re-fill it. Hold diaper on with one hand while trying to reach wipe refills with the other.
3. Get wipes over to the changing table and resume diaper removal. Those with baby boys be very careful here – this is where you will get peed on, every single time, no matter how careful you think you are being. Use 15 wipes to make sure you got all of the sticky poop that has make it’s way into every single possible crevice on baby.
4. Smother baby in diaper rash cream and baby powder if needed.
5. Put clean diaper on baby and secure.
6. Realize baby wasn’t done doing the deed and is soiling new diaper as fast as you can put it on.
7. Repeat process from step 3.
8. Put soiled diapers in your awesome Diaper Genie Elite diaper pail system. I picked mine up at Target because well, Target, it makes me happy.
The one thing that I had in my nursery for both kids, and that I wouldn’t do without, is a Diaper Genie. Babies, especially newborns, go through a lot of diapers and I for one, did not like keeping them in the regular garbage. They stink and embarrassingly I will admit that my dogs tended to seek them out and destroy leaving me to clean up baby poop twice. It was also a chore to run them out to the garbage outside sometimes multipe times an hour and definitely several times a day. Diaper Genie is the solution to this common problem. It keeps in the smell and makes taking out the dirty diapers a couple times a week thing. So much easier on busy and tired moms and dads!
For those of you who love rewards programs (and who doesn’t??), Diaper Genie has now released the Mommy Time Rewards program. Basically you earn points for buying the Diaper Genie products that you need and you can then exchange them for a few things that you actually want! Here is how it works:
1. Buy: Purchase participating Diaper Genie products
2. Snap: Take a photo of your store receipt using your mobile phone or upload a photo of your receipt or baby registry from your desktop and create your own Mommy Time Rewards profile at MommyTimeRewards.com
3. Redeem: Log in to your Mommy Time Rewards account to redeem your points for eGift Card rewards. You can reward yourself with her favorite products from participating retailers like Sephora and Zappos, or eGift Cards for massages, dining and more. Doesn’t get much easier right?!
What’s your favorite Diaper Genie feature? What’s your best diaper changing war story? Let me know in the comments below and thanks for reading!!!